Review - Microsoft Designer Compact Keyboard, Perfect For The Uncluttered Desktop


For the last couple of years the keyboard on my desk has been the Logitech K380, a small, reliable and reasonably nice compact keyboard with round keys. It can be paired with up to three devices, which is important given the number of laptops which get used on my desk. I've been happy with it for the most part but it isn't the most attractive of devices, especially when used on an uncluttered desk like mine.

Last year Microsoft announced a new keyboard which piqued my interest. The 80 key Designer Compact Keyboard fits the same form factor as the Logitech, but looks more serious and professional. When it arrived in New Zealand earlier this year I felt compelled to try it out.

So upfront lets just say that the Designer Compact Keyboard is a beautiful piece of design, looking modern, minimal and very, very black. It's slimline, just under 1cm off the desk, 11cm deep and 29cm wide. It has no spare space, you couldn't create a smaller keyboard without compromising on the size of the keys.


Of course looking good would be entirely academic if the keyboard wasn't good to use and whilst that's a very personal thing, I can say that if you've used and like the keyboard on any of Microsoft's Surface products then you'll love the Designer Compact Keyboard. It's somewhere between the feel of the Surface Laptop and Surface Book, with similar key travel and having similar spacing. Despite not being especially weighty, it doesn't move across my desk when typing.

Microsoft has similar shortcut keys to the Surface keyboards on its mobile devices - but there a couple of additions which are unique to this keyboard: a shortcut key to bring up the emoji keyboard and another to open the new Snip and Sketch screenshot tool. 

Some of these shortcuts also work when the keyboard is connected to a MacBook or iPad; and this is a useful tool if you switch between these devices regularly. It's quick and easy to switch between devices - just press the F1 key and an LED indicator will show you which device it is connected to. Press it again to cycle between connected devices.

Power for the keyboard comes from four CR2032 button batteries, Microsoft says that these should power the Designer Compact Keyboard four three years, which is pretty impressive and worth foregoing a backlight for. I'm not someone who feels the need for a backlit keyboard on my desk - I never type in dim or badly lit situations when I'm in my office, so I think backlighting is really only important for mobile device users.

As well as the matt black version I chose, Microsoft offers the Designer Compact Keyboard in Glacier White as well.

Currently available for NZ$109 the Designer Compact Keyboard is something which I can highly recommend if you are looking for a slimline option to pair with your Windows device. 

Comments