Ode To A Samsonite Briefcase

Its not often that you can count the case that you carry your kit around in as technology, but Samsonite's Esteem-tronic briefcase was just such a thing. I bought mine in 1994 and it was a conversation starter - an electronic locking system, ability to lock when inverted and futuristic looking styling.

At the time it was a hugely expensive buy, but 15 years later I can honestly say that I've had every penny of value out of that initial spend. Unfortunately fatigue has got the better of the plastic around one of the stays that hold the briefcase in the open position. This doesn't materially affect the case's ability to tote stuff around, but does introduce the risk of the lid collapsing so I've regrettably decided that now is the time to allow it to slip into retirement.

The sad thing is that there doesn't seem to be a equivalent in the current Samsonite range, so I'll need to look elsewhere for its replacement.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good afternoon,
Can you please explain how the electronic system works. I lost the manual and forgot how I once set it up, but want to use it again.
Please drop me a note, of a reply here or else email at

jan dot antonius AT: Gmail dot com

Cheers,

John Antonius
Netherlands