Antibiotic Resistance Threatens To Drag Healthcare Back To The Victorian Era

Superbugs and the threat they pose to our healthcare systems have somewhat dropped off the radar following the events of the last few years, but given the number and variety of bacteria now achieving pan-drug resistance, it’s probably worth another discussion.

We have recently learned of a number of diseases which are effectively incurable with modern medicines. STDs, Tuberculosis, e.coli, the list is longer than anyone would like. These previously easily treatable infections are once more fatal. 

The antibiotics which made their treatment straightforward have become ineffective because of the way they have been misused, over prescribed and incorrectly administered.

The use of antibiotics in farming has been alarming. In agriculture they are used to increase crop productivity and in livestock to accelerate growth. Their misuse in healthcare is almost as bad - historically doctors have been able to hand out antibiotics almost at will (no doubt partially as a result of the way drug companies promote their products in healthcare). 

Even now, when the problems of resistance have been well known for decades, as many as 30% of all antibiotic prescriptions are not needed. When incorrectly prescribed, and especially when prescribed courses aren't completed, bacteria are able to mutate, producing offspring which aren't affected by the antibiotic. 

One often ignored source of resistance is water. Humans and animals pass antibiotics into water where it interacts with more and more strains of bacteria, helping them to develop new resistance.

The result is that today vancomycin, the antibiotic of last resort (only prescribed in cases where all others have failed and whose distribution is tightly controlled) is losing its effect. There are strains of some diseases which are now untreatable with the antibiotics we have.

We need new antibiotics. And that's a problem.

Our primary source of new antibiotics are microorganisms found in the soil, trees, plants and fungi. It is now nearly forty years since a new class of antibiotics was discovered. As we sweep through our environment destroying the rainforests, soil and plant species we reduce our ability to find sources of new and effective antibiotics.

How much of a problem is this? Well it's estimated that globally 700,000 people a year die from a drug resistant bacterial infection and the US CDC believes that this number will rise to 10 million by 2050. 

Over the next few decades our options for treating patients with infections resistant to bacteria will be little more than those available to Victorian era physicians - amputation, organ removal and eventually palliative care.

Comments

Hello everybody, I just want to give this great testimony to the whole public about a great man who help me out in a serious illness. I have had HSV-1 AND HSV-2 DISEASE for good 2 years now and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the illness. All I have in my mind is, let me just give up because life is not interesting for me any longer and i also pray that God should accept my soul when ever I’m gone luckily for me, my kid sister run to me that she found a doctor in the INTERNET who can cure HSV-1 AND HSV-2 DISEASE. She helped me out with everything, the man asked for my details so he can prepare herbal medicine for me. After he was done consulting on my details he told me how my medicine will be prepare, after he was done preparing my medicine he sent me my medication and after using it for 7 days i later started noticing something different in my blood so I went for my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 DISEASE test and I was tested Negative, I’m so happy that I can say I’m not patient of HSV-1 AND HSV-2 anymore. If you have HSV-1 AND HSV-2 or any sickness,HIV/AID,HPV,CANCER,HEPATITS B DIABETITS ALS,PENIS ENLARGEMNT please for your safety, contact DR.HAZIM VIA email address (usmandrhazim@gmail.com) or whats APP number+2349058026857  
Isaac larry said…
i want to  inform the public how i was cured of herpes  Virus by a Doctor called Dr ishiaku. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on Herpes and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of herpes so i decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his
Email: ishiakuherbalcure@gmail.com or whatsapp him via +2348180828544 and get all your problem solved.
1)Sickness of any kind
2)Help to CURE Hepatitis B, herpes, HIV/AIDS CANCER and BIPOLAR
3)Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
4)Pregnancy problem
5)Financial problem and Job promotion
6)To get a good and rich life partner
7)To Lose your wrath
8)to enlargement of manhood
Anonymous said…
You did the a great work writing and revealing the hidden beneficial features of website development services