Monday, 13 February 2017

How I Roll: Lightweight Travel Version


I've covered my technology bag a few times in the past, so for 2017 I'm going to do things a little differently and talk about how I make my daily carry match my changing daily requirements. First off, my lightest bag.

I commute by three different methods - primarily by ferry across Auckland Harbour into the CBD. It's a fifteen minute journey during which I can catch up with email, read an eBook or catch up on the news.

Occasionally I'll make the journey by car, meaning that I get to the office(s) a little more quickly and can be a little more relaxed about the amount of technology I carry.

Finally I regularly fly between Auckland and Wellington or Melbourne. Usually these are overnight visits at a minimum.

For the days when I'm on the ferry I tend to pack the lightest bag I can carry. The bag I'll usually take will be an old HP netbook neoprene sleeve case. Unlike most neoprene sleeves this has a handle and a front pocket.

The main pocket carries my Surface 3, which doubles as PC and tablet. In tablet mode its an ideal eBook reader, magazine reader (using Zinio) or web browser. I no longer feel the need to carry a separate tablet.

In the front pocket I have my business iPhone, a USB-C cable for my Xperia XZ, Lightning cable and a micro-USB cable for the Surface 3. The Sony's charger will charge each of my three devices, and the Surface 3's USB port allows me to charge a second device if required.

The final item  in my pack is an RSA token for remote access (using the iPhone as a Wifi hotspot if necessary).

It's a small bag which lets me get things done. It seems a shame that Microsoft hasn't updated the Surface 3 recently, but similar devices abound from other Windows OEMs, mostly based around the more powerful Intel Core m3 or i5 CPUs.

For times when I need to get the maximum bang for portable buck this setup works very well indeed.

No comments: