Review: SurfacePad For iPad

I've somewhat neglected my iPad since Windows devices with touchscreens became part of my technology toolkit. For good reason, across a range of use cases the iPad loses out to a real computer. However that doesn't mean that there aren't times when the iPad isn't the best tool for the job, so I'll still grab it for occasional use.

When I bought the iPad Air 2 the choice of cases were either Apple's Smart Cover - something I'd never really liked on previous iPads - or a range of well know and not so well known names selling variations of more enclosing cases. I picked a case from a reasonably well known brand, who I won't identify here, but which proved to be less than solid, gradually breaking down into its constituent pieces.

So when I happened across one of Twelve South's SurfacePad skins for the iPad in the bargain bin at a local Apple dealer I had to grab it. Previous experience with the SurfacePad for iPhone led me to expect a well designed, protective, yet thin and light cover, and I haven't been disappointed.

The SurfacePad uses a high grab, non-permanent adhesive to attach to the back of the iPad. Leaving what is mostly a single thickness of leather between you and the iPad itself. No bulk, no weight and the feel of a really good quality notebook.

It isn't going to protect your iPad if it falls from your desk, but for preventing the screen or rear of the case picking up scratches in day to day use it's perfect.

In use the SurfacePad ticks all the boxes, with multiple typing and viewing angles catered for by magnets in the cover. Automatic wake and sleep are activated by the same mechanism.

The same basic design covers all iPads bar the 12" Pro. It's far and away the best case I've seen or felt on an iPad. So unless your normal usage of your iPad involves significant rough and tumble, in which case you need something far more protective, the SurfacePad is my recommended case for iPad owners.

 

0 comments: