Why I Couldn't Replace My MacBook Air With A New Mac


At approaching five years old my MacBook Air has given sterling, if problematic service. A battery that lost usable capacity faster than expected, plus a recurring and annoying screen corruption problem were the downsides to a solidly built, lightweight machine with a bright (if low-res) screen and great keyboard. Moving to a country where Apple doesn't have retail stores also highlighted how important they are to the overall Apple ownership experience.

Browsing Apple's current laptop catalogue it soon became apparent that whatever else I decided to invest my money in, Apple just didn't have anything that appealed. Its range has stagnated over the last few years, and whilst the MBA might be the inspiration for dozens of vaguely lookalike portables, the truth is that others have been doing a better job of design in attempting to compete.

The MBA and MBP haven't materially changed in the five years since I bought my last laptop. The MacBook doesn't appeal to me at all, in design, operation or value.

I could buy another MBA but realistically its some way behind the curve compared to what PC manufacturers have been doing since Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 prompted them to redo their design language.

Apple reported a second successive quarter of falling Mac Sales in March, and unlike when this happened in 2012/3, it isn't because users are choosing to go for iPads instead. Sales were off 12%, compared to a fall of 9% in the wider PC market.

With no new products to tempt upgraders, and no performance reasons to upgrade is it any wonder that Mac buyers have stayed at home for the last six months?

0 comments: