The Lesser-Spotted Blackberry User

 
Yesterday I saw somebody using a Blackberry. Actually out and about and in anger. What was once a normal occurrence has become so rare that I actually stopped and noted it. It wasn't a new Android-powered Blackberry either.
 
I can't remember the last time that I saw someone using a Blackberry. And I work in the sort of circles where owning a Blackberry used to be a badge of importance - users complained if they didn't get one and felt undervalued by their employers.
 
This may be a Kiwi phenomenon, but all I see people using are Samsung phones in the main, followed by iPhones. There are a handful of Sony Xperias and people of a technical bent seem to prefer the Nexus 5, whilst Nokia/Microsoft Lumias seem reasonably popular. I even see the occasional HTC.
 
Anything else is a complete rarity. Huawei - which seems to be everywhere in retail - doesn't seem to have made too much of a dent in the market yet. Phones from LG and Motorola are about as rare as Blackberries and I can't remember the last time I saw someone with a feature phone.
 
I wonder how much mindshare Blackberry has left. Does it have enough loyal users left to build a bridgehead with its Android range or has the name lost its appeal to all but a faithful few.
 
Next quarter's sales figures should be interesting.

0 comments: