Platform Lock-in No Longer An Issue Thanks To The Cloud

 
There's a certain elegance about the way in which cloud services have enabled mobile platform mobility.

This week I have been using my iPhone as my primary phone. The jump from using my Windows Phone was absolutely painless because all of my services sit in the cloud.

One of the reasons I use Microsoft's Groove music service is because it is available just about anywhere. A primary use case for my smartphone is for listening to music. Groove gives me access both to music within the service and any of my own tracks which I store in Onedrive.

A second use case which is important to me is reading. Again I use cloud based services to do this - Overdrive and Kindle. Both are widely available allowing me to switch from iOS to Android to Windows Phone and back again.

My preferred cloud provider is Microsoft. Again the ubiquity of Onedrive is key. Not only can I access my files from any platform, but also Onedrive handles the uploading of photos from whichever device I'm using. I take a lot of photos and knowing that I have a single location where they are reliably backed up gives me peace of mind.
 
For task management I use Wunderlist rather than a device specific app. Again the ability to use it anywhere is key, but its integration with IFTTT is another important factor. I can use various triggers to create a reminder, hugely useful when you're as naturally disorganized as I am.
 
Platform lock in has always been a big worry, but the way in which cloud services and application availability, have spread across platforms, means that with some careful tailoring of the tools you use jumping from Apple to Google to Microsoft and back again need never be a struggle.
 
That it is Microsoft that enables much of this is a vindication of Satya Nadella's 'Mobile first, cloud first' strategy.

0 comments: