Windows 10 Preview Update

I've been running the technical preview of Windows 10 as my 'sort of' main operating system for around two weeks now. That is, whilst I'm using my Surface Pro for all of my paid consultancy work, my HP laptop is covering everything else.

The Start Menu is back in something approaching the form
that everyone knows and loves.
Two weeks in I've been very impressed. The HP is the sort of machine which is a nightmare scenario on Windows 8.1. It has a trackpad, no touch screen and is designed to be used in desktop mode. Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 8 in this respect but never really presents a comfortable transition between desktop and Start Menu.

Windows 10 is altogether more polished. When in desktop mode you are in desktop mode. It's as if Windows 8 never happened. Yes, the Start Menu is back bringing with it Microsoft's modern style interface in a much better interpretation of live tiles for a desktop environment.

Reliability has been pretty good so far. I found that Windows Explorer would crash when used to view images from a folder on Onedrive, and occasionally an app would fail to start. In the main though I could be using a production ready version of the OS. I've found that Chrome, Open Office and Steam all run without any problems; and more importantly my laptop feels like a laptop rather than the second class citizen it felt like in Windows 8.

Windows 10 feels like Windows 7 to Windows 8's Vista.

And that's a good thing.

0 comments: