iPhone Pre-order Confusion, And I Don't Mean Apple Store Problems

iPhone 6 pre-orders went live this weekend and it would be fair to say that Twitter was a little busy with customers venting their frustration over the difficulty they had in actually ordering their iPhones.

Without resorting to the first-world problems meme, I'm a little confused as to why you would order a product sight unseen.

Don't get me wrong, when the iPhone 6 lands in New Zealand I'll be straight down to the store to get my hands on one (literally) and if I like what I see then I'll certainly be buying one.

Pre-ordering a product that is mostly new, and very different from its previous iteration is a gamble - a reasonably expensive one in this case - even for a company with a largely excellent track record with new products. A largely excellent track record isn't a perfect one though and that's why I want to see some reviews and get some screen time with the iPhone 6 before I invest in one.

The vainglorious desire to be first with a new toy is trumped by common-sense. Shame I can't claim that it's always the case...


0 comments: