Samsung Prevails in the Land of the Long White Cloud

Naturally one of the things that I've been looking at since arriving in New Zealand is the tech landscape. In a country far removed from both Europe and America what would that look like?

Turns out that its a hugely smartphone centric market. The only time I've seen a dumbphone has been on the video reel that plays on the Downtown to Devenport Ferry.

Otherwise everyone appears to have a smartphone and the prevalent brand is Samsung, who I'd estimate own 70-80% of the market based on what I've seen. Apple is a distant second and other than a smattering of Blackberries nothing else gets a look in. No HTCs, no Nokias, no LGs or Sonys.

As far as tablets are concerned Apple turns the tables, with the iPad dominant. Galaxy Tabs are definitely a popular second place though and once again the competition is nowhere.

I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or not. Does the 'two towers' market drive innovation or stifle it? I haven't investigated the retails experience yet, but one thing I'll be looking to find out: is the dominance of Samsung a result of consumer choices or a lack of consumer choice.

One thing's for certain, Auckland's free metropolitan wifi has resulted in an awfully big takeup of devices that benefit from it.

0 comments: