How Cloudy Do You Like It?

No, I'm not ranting about the weather (alright then: how come we've had about 10 sunny days this year? Its not what I'd call a summer!) but remote storage of your files.

The abundance of cloud storage available right now is amazing. Even as file sizes are growing the capacity to absorb them is outstripping that growth. My original cloud service (although that's not what it was called at the time) was HoTMaiL - 2MB was on offer at the time. When Google launched Gmail with a whole 1GB of mail storage it was mind-boggling and changed the game. Workarounds were developed that allowed the use of Gmail as a virtual drive on your desktop and from there Cloud storage was born. By the time that Google officially launched Drive competition had sprung up all over the place.

In terms of available cloud storage I have 10GB in my Gmail-box, 21GB in Picasa and 25GB in Drive - that's nearly 60GB of online storage just with Google! Add in the 28.6GB in Dropbox, 25GB in Windows Live and 2GB in both Asus Webstorage Box.net and you'll undestand why, when I was trying to decide between the Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC One X, the issue of onboard storage and expandability never made it to my list of buying decisions.

Of course all this cloud storage comes with a big risk - what happens to your data in the event of a big failure? By replicating my files across multiple services and keeping local sync on multiple devices I'm happy that I'm in a pretty good position.

I'm liking it pretty cloudy right now... how about you?

(I went for the HTC in the end, but more about that later in the week)

0 comments: