Updates Not Always A Good Thing For Smartphones

Are you worrying about whether your smartphone will get a snappy upgrade to Android Jelly Bean? Maybe you're still waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich?

Maybe you should consider the old maxim and the possibility that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

My Galaxy Note was undoubtedly one of my favourite devices, functionally and performance-wise it delivered everywhere. It's even quite pleasing to be part of the 'niche' of 10 million owners who ignored the media, industry analysts and bloggers who told us the Note would never sell.

However in the upgrade from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich something got lost in translation and performance has been severely impacted - there's a good three second delay between hitting the home button and getting to the homescreen for example.

That's disappointing. More so because from a functional point of view there hasn't been any major improvements to speak of.

I'm not the only person I know suffering in this way and I've heard similar tales from other Android owners (and iPhone users too, to be fair).

So unless you have a Nexus device from Google I'd suggest using caution before applying major OS upgrades lest your favourite smartphone be transformed into something you don't enjoy using anymore.

Now, what's my rollback procedure for the Galaxy Note..?

0 comments: