How Much Phone Is Your Smartphone?

Do you still use voice on your smartphone? I ask because its becoming more and more apparent that I don't.

Some of this is down to location (my office is in the middle of a hospital site with no coverage) and mostly down to other communication methods. Text messages and Twitter now make up most of my communications, with a side helping of instant messaging on Microsoft's Live Messenger platform. Anything that isn't included there is covered by email (although less and less of that) and I find that I'm using Xbox video chat more than calling too.

In effect the phone part of my smartphone has become the hopping on point for my data connection and little else.

Would I swap my smartphone for a data only device with no voice capability? Absolutely not, but next time I replace my phone I'll be a lot less concerned about its voice performance...

0 comments: